Charting Devices

We discussed how to knit a tension swatch, then measure it for setting up the different machines and charting devices.

On show were a Knitmaster with Knit Radar, a Brother electronic with a full-sized Knitleader, and a Brother 881 with a built in half-sized Knitleader.

We demonstrated how to use the charting device, and completed knitting bags with built in gussets.

Pat was wearing the new pattern Charlotte which can be downloaded by clicking on the picture.

Pat had also knitted two different collars from the cowl pattern in the newsletter, which can be downloaded here. Instructions for these collars will follow next month.

We also gave out stitch rulers for a 40 stitch by 40 row swatch.  These can be downloaded as a pdf here.


And, for Brother Knitleader users who don’t have their millimetre ruler to hand, you can download one here. This will need a bit of cut and paste.  When printing out rulers, set it to print actual size, not fit to page.


This meeting was in a different format from our usual one, and we were a little nervous about how it would go. But it was a great success, even with a few glitches.

We divided the room up into three sections, each one a mini-meeting round a knitting machine, two Brothers and a Knitmaster.

We demonstrated how to set up the ribber, cast on for 1x1 and 2x2 ribs, and showed some examples of patterning with the ribber. Club members had the opportunity to try it for themselves, and some were brave enough to do so!

The meeting went on well up to the scheduled end, and a little beyond.

Download the newsletter here.


And, for those who asked, here is a link to a free [sewn] t-shirt pattern, which I had made and was wearing!

In the Beginning and at the End

This meeting focused on casting on and off.

Basic methods were demonstrated: weaving cast on[video here], e-wrap cast on[video here], behind the gatepegs cast off [video here]and latch tool cast off [video here].

Other techniques were also demonstrated, including using an i-cord to cast on and off with, using lace as a starter, making a cast on rag, picot hems and frilled hems.

Kathy mentioned using a tight tuck stitch 'faux rib' as a hem, and showed some cast ons she had done earlier:

Kathy demonstrated an easy picot hem:

Bring forward the required number of needles. Push back alternate needles out of work. Cast on over the remaining needles. Knit 8 rows, then bring back the alternate needles to working position. Knit 10 rows, then hang the cast on edge to create a hem.

You can vary the number of rows, but always knit fewer on the alternate needles.


Instructions for the frilled edge are in the newsletter, as is the Solo pattern for a hip length A-line top. Click here for the newsletter.

Club members showed their knitting:

January 2016

Add Ons

This meeting was about pockets, bands and buttonholes.

Pat showed us an integral Ladder Pocket. 

Lynda went on to a pocket which could be added on as an afterthought, Kathy knitted bands using tuck stitch as faux ribbing, with eyelet buttonholes integrated, and Lynda went on to knitting a buttonhole into a folded band.


Today’s newsletter has Pat’s Ladder Pocket instructions.


About Knitting Machines has a download of the Brother Knitting Techniques manual [amongst many others] in which there are instructions for knitting the Horizontal buttonhole.

Celebration Day!

Apart from some festive refreshments, and a totally tempting display of yarn for sale from Wendy Piper, we were into the serious business of displaying members’ knitting, and choosing the winner of the Long Buckby trophy, chosen by members.

Lynn had knitted a jumper and skirt combination, with a separate cowl neck. 3 ends of crepe, the skirt was knitted in lace on the wrong side, bottom to top. The top was an unknown yarn, possibly viscose, and it was all fashioned via the Knitleader.

Doris knitted a Sue Booth twinset in four ply crepe.

Pat had a yellow top started with a hem of commercial braid hung on the machine.

Doria had a black and white cape, sideways knitted and attached a bought collar, a toggle fastening and a separate fringe.

Sue knitted the Iris Bishop Evolution jacket, 2 ends tucked 2/30s with 1 end of James Brett Marble for weaving. The sleeves had a reverse mixture of yarn.

Fran knitted a bomber jacket, lined, in a dogtooth pattern.

Mary had made a red bolero with a ribbon trim, from the pattern on this website.

Brenda had made two: a four ply wool jacket in blue with a tuck pattern; and a cream lace jumper










Jackie made a grey jumper in chunky wool on the Zippy 90 with sideways dolman sleeves [reduced a little] and a centre panel with tuck stitch, and transfer lace on the sleeves.

Lots of skill and fun to be had today, and the winner was….